Tuesday, September 14, 2010

TASTEFUL TUESDAY

Wow what a day. Got discharged from home care, cut out fabric for some pillow case dresses, made supper and now I am exhausted.
So here goes the tasteful part. I used Shake and Bake Barbecue on center cut pork chops with as much fat as possible removed. I preheated the oven to 350 while I prepared the chops. The directions say to wet the meat but this time I didn't. I wet the boneless chicken breasts the first time I used the product and it just clumped and stuck to the sides of the bag. I hate wasting anything so this time I emptied the pouch onto a plate and after washing the chops, I let them drain as I was trimming the fat. I took a chop and layed it across the Shake and Bake and then turned it over as needed to make sure it was coated well. Then I put it in a 9X11 inch glass baking dish. I repeated for all 4 of my chops then put them in the oven. I got a simple recipe for Broccoli casserole off cooks.com,Here is the recipe as written: 2 pkgs. frozen broccoli
1can mushroom soup
3/4 cup mayonnaise
2 Tablespoons minced onion
2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
2 beaten eggs
1/3 cup butter
Cook broccoli and drain. Beat eggs and add soup, mayonnaise, and onion. Add broccoli and shredded cheese and mix well. Put in a greased casserole dish. Top with crackers and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or til top starts to brown.

This is how I tweaked it:
2 bundles of fresh Broccoli heads cooked and drained
1 can of cream of celery soup
3/4 cup of Kraft mayonnaise
2 cups of extra sharp cheddar cheese shredded
2 beaten eggs
1/2 package of seasoned croutons

In a large bowl I added cream of celery soup,mayonnaise,beaten eggs. I mixed this together then added the shredded cheese and mixed. I then added the broccoli and gently mixed together. I poured it into a 9X11 glass baking pan I prepared with cooking spray. I crushed the croutons while still in the bag with my rolling pin. Then I sprinkled them over the top and put in the oven timing it so both my BBQ'd pork and it would be done at the same time. I sliced some tomato and cucumber and put it in a small bowl and poured about a cup of white vinegar on it and tossed then refrigerated it til supper was done in the oven. Placing 1 pork chop on a plate and a large spoon of broccoli casserole next to it, I added a couple of slices of tomato and about 6 slices of cucumber to the plate. It tasted so good. We now have the rest put up in the freezer for dinner another day. I just love cooking for today and another day at the same time. It saves time when I can pop it in the microwave and tell my sister dinner will be ready in a couple of minutes.
Tomorrow my daughter is bring her two over to visit with me so she can go walking around the Sports Complex track across the road from me. Until then I remain Just This... Alice

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for your kind words today on my blog.

    BTW- I grew up using shake and bake but I have never tried the BBQ kind... gonna have to look that up!

    ReplyDelete